- 1 1/2 lb Medium asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 Baby Vidalia onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tbsp. Sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. Chopped fresh herbs (i.e. parsley, tarragon, chives, and mint)
- 1 English Cucumber, partially peeled in strips, seeded, and cubed
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Coarse kosher salt
- Fresh ground white pepper
- Prepare an ice-water bath by filling a large bowl with ice and water. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the asparagus and cook until bright green and just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Without draining, add the onions and cook until both vegetables are tender, an additional 30 or 45 seconds.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, and oil. Set aside.
- Drain the asparagus and onions well in a colander, then set the colander with the asparagus and onions in the ice-water bath (to set the color and stop the cooking), making sure the asparagus is submerged. Once chilled, remove the asparagus and onions to the prepared plate. Pat dry and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the cucumbers and herbs.
- Add the reserved dressing and toss to coat and combine.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.