- Floured baking spray
- 1 1/3 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 2/3 c granulated sugar
- 5 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 c cake flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 c whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Icing (filling)
- 1 c unsalted butter
- 1 c Hershey’s cocoa powder, sifted
- 8 c confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2/3 c whole milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
Milk Chocolate Icing (outer)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 16 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 c milk chocolate
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 lb confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease and flour seven 9-inch pans lined with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl again.
- Combine the cake flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and mix with a wire whisk.
- Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a liquid measuring cup.
- With the mixer on low, alternately add the flour mixture and the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating until well blended.
- Beat the batter for 7 minutes on medium speed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 7 prepared pans. Tap the pans on the counter to ensure there are no air bubbles.
- Bake for 11 to 12 minutes.
- Cool the cakes for at least 10 minutes on a cooling rack before removing from the pans.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cocoa powder and whisk until all the lumps are dissolved.
- Add ¼ of the confectioners’ sugar and then ¼ of the milk. Alternate until all the sugar and milk are incorporated.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until well blended.
- While the filling is still warm, spread it between the cake layers. The filling will set up like fudge as it cools.
- If the filling hardens while icing the layers, warm the filling in the microwave in 10-second intervals until the smooth, velvety texture has returned.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer for 3 minutes. At the end of the 3 minutes, scrape the bowl extremely well.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 10-second intervals until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate to the butter and cream cheese with the mixer on low speed.
- Add the vanilla and beat well.
- Slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, beating on low to ensure the sugar does not fly out of the mixing bowl.
- After each addition of confectioners’ sugar, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl extremely well.
- Once all the confectioners’ sugar is incorporated, beat on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Spread over the top and sides of the filled, stacked cake layers.