- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk, heated
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don't let it brown — about 2 minutes.
- Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Stir in 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from the heat.