I’m excited to highlight another of my wonderful advertisers as our April Advertiser of the Month. This month, I would like to introduce you to Livingood’s Appliances and Bedding in Savannah.
Livingood’s was one of my first advertisers to come on board after being syndicated to WSAV. The first time I met with Phyllis, the company’s President and Co-owner, there was an immediate kinship that tends to exist between fellow entrepreneurs. Phyllis and her husband, Dale, started the company in 1976. Now with two locations in Savannah, GA and Okatie, SC and over 20,000 showroom square footage, Livingood’s is certainly an entrepreneurial success story.
If you’re in the Savannah area (or not, thanks to online ordering!), I highly recommend this family-owned business that has thrived for 40 years due to its quality and impeccable customer service.
I’m excited to present a new monthly blog series where I give a special “thank you” to one of my advertisers in one of the markets where The VeryVera Show airs. This month I’m happy to introduce you to Pecan Ridge Plantation, who actually advertises in 5 markets where The VeryVera Show airs!
If you’re watching on WJBF, WRBL, WMAZ, WSAV, or WCBD, you might have seen their commercial, featuring their gorgeous bottles of Georgia Grown Pecan Oil.
Southern Living loved Pecan Ridge Plantation’s oil enough to give it the 2016 Food Award for Best Oil. I’ve had the privilege of cooking with their Pecan Oil and Pecan Truffle Oil on multiple occasions and can personally attest to the depth that their products add to any dish. A few lucky VeryVera Show fans have even been able to try their products for free through giveaways on our Facebook page!
Pecan Ridge Plantation products can be found in stores in all 5 markets where their commercial runs, but you can also browse their selection online! While you’re on their website, be sure to read about Tate, the pecan-truffle-hunting family dog.
I encourage you to check out this Southern, family-run company and see all the wonderful things they’re doing!
I have SUCH exciting news! We are partnering with Blue Apron to bring you our Star Student Contest. As many of you know, engaging children in the kitchen is one of my life’s passions. This contest turns the spotlight on my young viewers and gives them the chance to produce their own cooking show segment, and Blue Apron is going to provide the ingredients!
This contest is open to children 6-18 in the viewing audience of The VeryVera Show, and the Grand Prize winner gets a KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer and a Blue Apron gift card! 5 lucky runners-up also receive Blue Apron gift cards as well. I am so excited to celebrate culinary-minded children with this contest, and I can’t wait to see the results! Details and official rules are below. Good luck!
The VeryVera Show + Blue Apron Star Student Contest Official Rules
- All entries must be a digital video.
- Entrants may only be between the ages of 6 and 18 at the time of video entry. Entrants must live in the viewing area of The VeryVera Show, within the reach of the following television stations: WJBF, WCBD, WRBL, WMAZ, WFXB, WSAV.
- Each entry must show entrant executing one (1) Blue Apron recipe from the April 17-22 delivery schedule.
- The length of the video should not exceed seven (7) minutes.
- Registration opens on Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 1:00 PM. To register: email [email protected] to enter and receive further instructions. A maximum of seventy-five (75) registrants will be accepted. The deadline for registration is 11:59 pm (eastern time, US) on Thursday, March 30, 2017.
- Entry fee is $10. This will be paid to VVTV, LLC, who will submit all monies to Blue Apron. Entrants will then be provided with a code for a free Blue Apron box. Entrant’s parent or guardian will create a Blue Apron account at blueapron.com and use the provided code to order a one (1) Blue Apron box. Checks and cash are preferred payment, but credit cards are accepted with a processing fee. Entrants are not officially registered until $10 payment is submitted. Registration is first come, first served by order of payment received. Checks can be made to VVTV, LLC. Mailing address: 2708 Wheeler Rd., Augusta, GA 30909
- Entry files may be emailed to [email protected] starting on Monday, April 17, 2017. The deadline for submissions is 8:00 am (eastern time, US) on Monday, May 1, 2017.
- Judges will review each video per the following qualities:
- Video quality
- Mastery of culinary skills (appropriate to age)
- Final food presentation
- Adherence to time limits
- Onscreen performance
- Judges will choose three (3) runners-up and three (3) finalists. Finalists’ videos will be posted to the VeryVera Show Facebook page on Monday, May 8, 2017. Facebook followers will “like” the video of their choosing. Numbers will be tallied at 12:00 pm on Monday, May 15, 2017. The judges’ decision is final.
- Winner will be announced on the VeryVera Show from Thursday, May 25, 2017 to Sunday, May 28, 2017.
- All registrants must submit a video. Any registrants that haven’t submitted a video Thursday, June 1, 2017 will be asked to refund the additional $50 remaining in the cost of the Blue Apron box.
- No copyrighted materials (music, images, etc.) may be used for this contest unless you own the copyright or have a license to use the material for this contest. Written permission must be obtained and provided upon request for all copyrighted materials.
- No professional assistance is allowed. Adults may assist with production but are limited to verbal guidance only. Adults are allowed to be actors or cameramen but not content contributors. Adults over 18 may assist only in placing items in oven, chopping ingredients, and handling pots/pans on stove.
- Content must comply with all local and national laws of the country of origin and the United States. Content must not 1) promote illegal behavior; 2) support racial, religious, sexual or other invidious prejudice; 3) advocate sexual or violent exploitation; 4) violate rights established by law or agreement; 5) invade the privacy of any person; or 6) be otherwise inappropriate as determined by VVTV, LLC in its sole and conclusive determination.
- The only compensation for submitting a video is the opportunity to be awarded a prize if the entry wins. VVTV, LLC will pay filmmakers no additional compensation nor be liable to the filmmaker under any circumstances.
- Important deadlines:
- March 16 | Registration opens
- March 30 @ 11:59 pm | Registration closes
- April 10 | Last day to order box (depending on box delivery date in your area—check Blue Apron’s website)
- May 1 @ 8:00 am | Deadline to submit video
- Awards will be presented as follows:
- One (1) First Place: one (1) KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer; one (1) $30 Blue Apron gift card
- Five (5) Second Place: one (1) $30 Blue Apron gift card
- Students should keep at least one copy of their video. VVTV, LLC is not responsible for any films that are lost, damaged, or that do not upload properly.
- Ownership of the underlying intellectual property of the project remains with the entrant, with the following exceptions:
- Entrants grant VVTV, LLC/Blue Apron the right to use their names, photographs, statements, quotes, testimonials, and video submissions for advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes without notification or further compensation.
- Entrants also grant VVTV, LLC/Blue Apron the right to use, reproduce, reprint, distribute, perform, and/or display the entrant’s project video without further compensation or notification to the entrant.
- VVTV, LLC/Blue Apron maintains the right to reproduce, reprint, distribute, perform, display, or exhibit the project for advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes on their website, at conferences, or at any other venues.
- By accepting the prizes, winners agree to hold VVTV, LLC and all VVTV, LLC employees harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of use of such prizes. Winner assumes all liability for any injury or damage caused from participation in the contest or use/redemption of any prize.
- Entrants agree to be bound by the official contest rules and decisions of the judges.
Getting ready for the big game? Add these fun referee food cards to your buffet! There is a card for the Buffalo Chicken Dip, Cheesy Bacon Chips, Homemade Mozzarella Sticks, as well as a blank one so you can write in your favorite recipe. All you have to do is download one of the documents below (in Word Document or PDF form), print the file on cardstock, cut them out, and place them on your table using a card holder. Happy Game Day!
As we all celebrate the beginning of a new year, one of my family traditions is particularly special to me. Life’s Little Instruction Calendar always finds its way under the tree, and my sons seem to continue this family tradition as well.
I am especially moved throughout the year as the daily “thoughts” seem to hit close to home or even speak directly to a situation that’s relative in my life. I hang on to a few, post one or two on the door at work, keep some in a special box that I flip through from time to time, and use some as scratch paper the day after they post. No matter what the use, it all seems important to me. These thoughts certainly don’t take the place of a daily devotional, but in their own little way, they lend a meaning to each day that has become part of my routine. There is a superstition that no matter what, you do NOT pull the day off until the next morning. There are some that have prompted topics for speeches, those that make you look in the mirror and think “good job,” and others that eerily make you think you have a friend that understands. No matter what the day, I don’t leave until I have read my calendar.
I hope you have traditions that you don’t want to lose. I hope you have set some goals for yourself and hope your core values are too long to list. The word for 2017 for me is “STRETCH.” I have many reasons why that’s important and it seemed appropriate for this year. I would love to know what your word would be if you could only pick one.
Heeeereeeee’s toooooooo GoooooooD Healllllllth and Happpineeeeessssss.
One of my personal and professional goals was met this season by having the Queen of Southern Cooking, Nathalie Dupree, join me on The VeryVera Show. From her charming personality, her continued passion for food and her gift as an educator, it was one of the most memorable days of filming. She filled the gaps in conversation during filming with tips that were so appropriate to the home cook. She laughed at herself with a miss-cue on a word and actually advised us to encourage the audience to DVR it! She is amazing.
Nathalie Dupree has shared so much with so many and I am honored to have had the opportunity to be guided and advised by such an inspirational woman. She truly is the Pioneer of Food TV, having no one to mimic in her early years in front of the camera. Her wisdom and ease are evident as seen here and she has followers and admirers both young and old. The key to success to me is sometimes measured in those that are successful because of your influence. There is quite a long list of interns and students of Nathalie’s that have risen to the top in cookbook writing, culinary careers and food-related professions. When she holds your hands, looks in your eyes, and says, “Listen to me,” you do.
Our entire crew feels very fortunate to have had a day with Nathalie. She took an interest in every member and was so willing to help and assist with all aspects of the day. Their next question will be, “When is she coming back?” Next time you see Nathalie, ask her what her secret word is for smiling in a picture. We all know!
Once you’ve made your Soda Bread, it is time to package! Download the bread sleeve template and soon you’ll be sharing your homemade bread in style. Happy baking!
First, cut along the dotted lines.
Cut one of the side strips in half and set aside.
Take the “Soda Bread” strip and wrap it over the top of the bread, making a crease where the paper bends over the sides of the bread.
Fold the paper where you made crease marks.
Using the strip you cut in half, attach it to the “Soda Bread” strip with either clear tape or a stapler. Once both ends are attached, it will look like a sleeve that slides around the bread.
You may have to make adjustments to the back strip that is attached depending on how tall your loaf of bread is. You want to be sure the sleeve fits tightly so it doesn’t slide off.
Once your bread is wrapped in plastic wrap, slide your sleeve on and now you are ready to display your Soda Bread!
We are thrilled to announce dates for our Spring 2017 Saturday Class series AND to unveil our new cooking camp site where you can register for 2017 Cooking Camp NOW! Most of you know that camp sold out early this year, so the sooner you sign up, the better. We can’t wait to teach your young ones in 2017!
Within a year of the Internet going public, VeryVera.com staked its claim on the vast frontier of the World Wide Web.
20 years later, we continue to recognize the value of this interpretation of our evolving brand.
Our quest was always simple: good quality, great service, and fantastic presentation. Our new website focuses on the movement of The VeryVera Show to regional status. I invite you to scroll through the newest chapter of the VeryVera story. You’ll see glimpses of the past and the excitement of the future.
Lights, camera, ACTION!
Check out the original 1996 website here.
Thank you to Wier/Stewart for our beautiful new site!
Vera + Jones, 1991.
Generally, the one feature people comment on and recall about me the most is my smile. Oddly enough, as a third grader, I didn’t like my smile—it was my biggest insecurity because my teeth were so big. Today, it’s hopefully what people remember most about me.
There are certainly things that make me smile quite a bit: our grandchildren and their successful parents, great friends, and of course, my husband. This picture was taken just a few days before we tied the knot. Though our appearances have changed—more gray hair and a few less strands—I am as happy this morning as I was that cold March morning 24 years ago today. My husband and I still love to cook, fish, and dance together along with watching our family grow. Jones can shoot his age on the golf course and is still the best date I ever had!